This recipe is one of my all-time favorites, and that’s saying something coming from a woman who thinks of soup as just a glorified beverage. One of those dump everything into a pot recipes, this soup is an easy way to warm up on frigid winter days.
First, if you haven’t ever used crock pot liners, you MUST go out and get some. They cost something like $1.50 for three of them, and they totally eliminate nasty crock pot clean-up. Fantastic!
Throw a few boneless, skinless chicken breasts (is there any other kind?) into the crock pot. As you can see by the freezer burn, I didn’t even bother to thaw these babies out.
Add in the chicken broth and the Mexican-style diced tomatoes.
Add the white beans. You don’t even have to drain them. Bonus.
Add the chilies. Lots and lots of chilies. If you are sensitive to heat, definitely cut back on the number of cans you put in. I love the endorphin rush from spicy food, so I used 2 cans of the tomatoes with chilies AND 2 small and 1 large can of chilies. It hit that perfect heat level where it’s not painful but you get a nice ear burn. Yeah, that’s the good stuff!
Add a metric palmful of oregano. (I am not a measurer.)
And a bit of cumin. You must use both these spices if you want the soup to taste right.
Add a heaping helping of minced garlic. I buy the ginormous container of already minced garlic at the grocery store and pull it out almost every time I cook. Isn’t that soup looking colorful? That’s how you know it’s good for you.
Here is what REALLY makes the soup. Squeeze the juice of a lime into the crock pot. The lime and the chilies are soooooo yummy together!
After a few hours in the crock, remove the chicken breasts and shred them with two forks.
Toss the chicken back in and let the soup simmer for about another hour or so.
Top the soup with some crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese or sour cream. With the exception of those not-so-healthy toppings, this soup is pretty low-calorie and low-fat. So go ahead and have several bowls.
Here’s the whole recipe if you are the recipe-followin’ type:
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 238
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 27g
Saturated Fat 7g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 91g
Dietary Fiber 23g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1/4 fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can cannellini beans (or other white beans)
- 3 (4.5 oz.) cans chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot or dutch oven. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- Return chicken to soup and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream and shredded chips.
Mad in Crafts http://madincrafts.com/