I love rhubarb something fierce. I am big on tangy, sour flavors especially when they are paired with something creamy or rich. Rhubarb is perfect for recipes like cobblers, pies, and streusels for just that reason. But baked desserts take numerous ingredients and time. I wanted rhubarb goodness NOW! The first thing I did with my rhubarb stash was to make it into delicious 3 ingredient rhubarb sauce, just like my mom would make when I was little.Jump to Recipe
3 INGREDIENT RHUBARB SAUCE
HOW TO MAKE RHUBARB SAUCE
Making rhubarb sauce is so easy! Dump all the ingredients in a saucepan let them slowly cook until you have delicious rhubarb sauce. You really have just two responsibilities while the sauce is cooking: 1) don’t let it burn, and 2) stir it every once in a while. It’s really that simple!
Three Ingredient Rhubarb SaucePrint
- 4 c chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c sugar
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan over high heat. Watch pot carefully to avoid burning the sauce.
- When bubbles first begin to appear in the water, turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Break the big chunks of rhubarb down with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Cool and refrigerate.
WAYS TO EAT RHUBARB SAUCE
While I am hardcore and will eat the sauce straight up, some people find it too sour to eat on its own. Here are a few more ways to eat this delicious sauce:
- Fruit topping on ice cream
- Mixed in with Greek yogurt
- Served on top of waffles or pancakes
- Spooned on top of schaum torte
- Stirred into oatmeal
- Layered with custard and cake to make a rhubarb trifle
Have I convinced you to make some rhubarb sauce yet? Get your paws on some stalks and get saucin’!
You might like these other easy recipes: