This is a sponsored post. I was compensated for my work, but the opinions are 100% my own.
One of the newest Disney Junior shows that my daughter likes to watch is Elena of Avalor. This show has the classic Disney “princess” atmosphere, but in a new setting. Elena lives in the magical kingdom of Avalor with her sister, grandparents, cousins and friends. While the actual setting of the show is fictional, much of the show is inspired by Latin cultures. The music has strong Latin influences, the characters celebrate Dia de los Muertos and the storylines draw on folklore from Latin and Hispanic cultures. Since one of the recurring themes of the show involves celebrating cultural diversities, I thought it would be fun to make a simplified version of a tres leches cake.
My kid have had plenty of food from my German heritage, so I thought they would enjoy trying more foods from other cultures. And, tres leches cake is a delicious place to start.
- 1 boxed butter cake mix, prepared with 1 extra egg and melted butter in place of the oil
- One 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- One12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan.
- Make the boxed cake mix according to package directions, with 2 exceptions: use 1 extra egg and replace the oil with melted butter.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then poke holes in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Whisk together evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and 1 cup of heavy cream. Pour milks over the cake.
- Allow to cool for 30 more minutes.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Whip together remaining heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Frost the cake with this whipped cream.
- Serve and enjoy!
The fun part comes after the cake is baked. Let cake cool for a few minutes, and then poke holes in the cake with a the handle of a wooden spoon. Whisk together the milks, and pour the mixture over the cake. Your kids will love helping with these steps. Then comes the hard part: place the cake in the fridge and let it sit for at least 6 hours. I know.
After the cake has been refrigerated, and has soaked up all that delicious milk, you can make the vanilla whipped cream. Top the cake with the whipped cream, serve and enjoy!
While we probably won’t eat our tres leches cake while watching the premiere of new episodes of Elena of Avalor, I’m not ruling it out entirely. New Disney Junior shows air on Disney Channel in their morning block of shows that run from 6AM-10AM.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Disney Junior.