Being a mom is wonderful work. It is also sometimes thankless work. The beauty of Mother’s Day is that there is a day of the year when we can really show our moms how much they mean to us. Although Mom may say that spending time with her children is all she wants for Mother’s Day, it is still nice to receive an actual gift. As a mom myself, I know there are two kinds of physical gifts moms like the best: 1) gifts handmade by their children and 2) gifts that show recognition for the effort they put into their families. This DIY pampering Mother’s Day gift lets Mom know how much you love her, and that you appreciate all her hard work.
PAMPERING MOTHER’S DAY GIFT
HOW TO ADD VINYL TO A WATER BOTTLE
I love being able to personalize water bottles, travel mugs, and tumblers with vinyl, but I am not a fan of hand washing dishes. Thankfully, you can make your vinyl decorated drinkware dishwasher-safe! I decorated a dollar store water bottle with permanent vinyl. You can find this design in this Cricut Design Space canvas. Then I coated the entire water bottle with two coats of Dishwasher-Safe Mod Podge. When fully cured, the water bottle is top rack dishwasher-safe!
Several of you have asked how to reduce the amount of brushstrokes that are visible when you are coating vinyl with Mod Podge. I have found that using a super soft paintbrush, like one designed for decoupage or for gilding, is the key. Soft even strokes, thin coats, and a soft paintbrush will work together to give you the best results.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE A MOTHER’S DAY SPA GIFT
If you don’t want to bother with the Dishwasher-Safe Mod Podge, you can use outdoor vinyl on your water bottle. The bottle will then have to be washed by hand.
These are all affiliate links, if you make a purchase (of anything from these retailers, not just these items) after clicking through, I will earn a small commission. Ads and affiliate links are the way I am able to keep this website running and to offer you free tutorials all year long. Thank you so much for supporting me and Mad in Crafts!
MAKING A DIY SPA GIFT FOR MOM
There are lots of different small gifts that you can fit inside of this water bottle. Here are just a few ideas:
- Eye mask: I chose this particular eye mask for a few reasons. First, there are two eye masks in the package, which means I could make two of these pampering gifts! The eye masks have a soft fabric backing on the side that sits against the wearer’s face. This makes them very comfortable to wear. Finally, the masks can either be frozen for cold therapy or heated in the microwave for heat therapy.
- Nail kit: A travel manicure kit is a great, small gift to include in this pampering kit. I purchased mine at the dollar store, and it comes with nail clippers, tweezers, cuticle scissors, and a nail file in a sparkly pouch.
- Homemade soaking salts: It is thoughtful to include homemade spa products in the gift as well. I filled a mini mason jar with homemade soaking salts, but you could instead add homemade soap, lotion, or body scrub. I have plenty of recipes for spa products in this gallery.
- Candy: Adding some of your mom’s favorite treats into the gift is a sweet idea. Package loose candy in a decorative bag so that it isn’t tainted by the homemade spa products.
- Skin care: A good skin care regimen can be costly. Add some of your mom’s favorite skin care products into the gift.
- Makeup brushes: Buying makeup for someone else is risky. Buy mom a new set of makeup brushes, and you don’t have to worry about choosing the wrong shade!
- Tea: Pick out a new tea variety for Mom to try out. Just be sure any loose leaf tea is properly packaged so it doesn’t make a mess.
- Spa gift certificate: Take the pampering gift up a level by including a gift certificate to a spa so Mom can have a full day of relaxation!
Moms aren’t the only people who would appreciate a gift that encourages them to pamper themselves a little. This same gift idea works well for birthdays, teacher appreciation, bridal and baby showers, and more! Who do you know that deserves a bit of pampering?