Last summer my mom and I took the kids to a local community pool for the afternoon. I sort of grudgingly put on my bathing suit and sunnies, threw some towels into a bag, and headed out the door. It wasn’t until we had been at the pool for quite a while before I realized that my swimsuit, sunglasses, and beach bag were ALL leopard print. I guess I am that lady now. I might as well lean into it, I suppose. When I was given a wood burning set to try out, it seemed fitting to use it to create a cool wood burned leopard print frame.
WOOD BURNED LEOPARD PRINT FRAME
WHAT YOU NEED TO BURN A LEOPARD FRAME
I have used cheap wooden frames for so many projects on this site! You can fin them at the craft store, at the dollar store, or online. Using a wood burning tool to add a classic leopard print to the frame elevates the cheap frame into stunning home decor.
These are all affiliate links, if you make a purchase (of anything from the site, not just these items) after clicking through, I will earn a small commission. Ads and affiliate links are the way I am able to keep this website running and to offer you free tutorials all year long. Thank you so much for supporting me and Mad in Crafts!
- Plaid Decorative Wood Burning Set
- Craft Wood Frame
- Disposable Gloves
- Minwax Stain Wipes – Maple
- Minwax Stain Marker – Golden Oak
Want to know which craft supplies I always keep in my craft room?
Visit the Mad in Crafts Amazon Storefront to learn more and to buy your own supplies!
HOW TO WOOD BURN A LEOPARD PRINT ONTO A FRAME
I created this short video to show you how I used the wood burning tool to create this cool leopard print frame.
Wood Burned Leopard Print Frame
- Lightly sketch a leopard print all over the front surface of the wood frame.
Feel free to look up pictures on the internet to use as a reference!
- Plug in your wood-burning tool and heat it up.
PLEASE read all the directions that come with the tool and use it carefully. You can get seriously burned if you misuse a wood burning tool.
- Trace and fill in the leopard print shapes that you sketched onto the frame. You shouldn’t have to press too hard into the frame to scorch the surface and create dark spots.
- Put on disposable gloves and use a stain wipe to apply a thin coat of stain to the frame.
- Use a stain pen in a slightly darker stain color to color the insides of some of the leopard spots.
- Allow the stain to dry completely, and then add in a printable or photograph!
EASY WOOD BURNING PROJECT FOR BEGINNERS
I have to say, I think my first wood burning project turned out pretty well. I created a simple printable to add to the frame because I sure as heck am not putting a photo of myself in my leopard bathing suit inside it! This DIY is straightforward enough that I think any novice wood burner can have good success.
Pop on a playlist or your favorite podcast and make a few of these frames to give as holiday gifts this year! You can fill the frame with small artwork, photos, or fun printables. If you make your own version, PLEASE take a picture and tag me on social media so I can see it! I am @madincrafts across the board.