This week I am joining with dozens of other craft bloggers to bring you family fun crafts you can make with Cricut machines. I am a new-ish owner of a Cricut Joy machine. The Joy is SO kid-friendly. It works so seamlessly with the Design Space app, and it doesn’t require you to mess with different blades or buttons on the machine. If you have a tween or teen in the house, she will love making her own DIY mermaid bag with Cricut Joy.
DIY MERMAID BAG WITH CRICUT JOY
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE A MERMAID MAKEUP BAG
I did an impulse buy of this holographic iron-on vinyl last fall, and I’ve been hoarding it ever since. It’s so pretty, and it is perfect for any kind of mermaid project!
These are all affiliate links, if you make a purchase (of anything from these retailers, not just these items) after clicking through, I will earn a small commission. Ads and affiliate links are the way I am able to keep this website running and to offer you free tutorials all year long. Thank you so much for supporting me and Mad in Crafts!
Want to know which craft supplies I always keep in my craft room?
Visit the Mad in Crafts Amazon Storefront to learn more and to buy your own supplies!
HOW TO CUT REGULAR IRON-ON VINYL WITH THE CRICUT JOY
Later this week, I will be sharing how crazy simple it is to cut new Smart Vinyl with the Cricut Joy. If you have iron-on vinyl on hand, you can absolutely still use that iron-on with the Joy machine.
Cutting Iron-On Vinyl with Cricut Joy
- Prepare your design in Design Space.
If you like this mermaid design, you can find it here.
- Select On Mat from the Load Type page.
- In Design Space, select your Cricut Joy machine.
- Select Holographic Iron-on from the materials list.
- Set the design to cut using your Cricut Joy.
DON’T FORGET to mirror the design.
- Cut a piece of holographic iron-on vinyl to fit on the Cricut Joy mat.
- Apply the vinyl to the mat making sure the carrier sheet is against the mat.
- Load the mat into the Cricut Joy.
- Click Go and let the Joy cut out the design.
- Unload the mat and weed away any excess vinyl.
Once you have the iron-on vinyl cut and weeded, you can apply it to the makeup bag as you normally would. I always recommend using Cricut’s Heat Guide for the exact instructions for your materials.