We all know how great our cutting machines are for paper crafting or to use vinyl to personalize home decor or clothing, but did you know you can use your cutting machine to make your own jewelry? My friends and I have come together to share free cut files that you can use to make your own earrings, including these beautiful DIY leather feather earrings!
DIY FEATHER EARRINGS
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE LEATHER EARRINGS
You can use my SVG file to make feather earrings from a wide range of materials. If you have a Cricut Maker, you can use its Adaptable Tool System to cut real leather!
These are all affiliate links, if you make a purchase (of anything from these retailers, not just these items) after clicking through, I will earn a small commission. Ads and affiliate links are the way I am able to keep this website running and to offer you free tutorials all year long. Thank you so much for supporting me and Mad in Crafts!
DOWNLOAD THE FREE SVG FILE
Sign up for my SVG Club below for these free SVG files! As a member of the club, you will receive one new SVG file each month. These SVG files are ready to upload directly into your favorite cutting machine’s design software. Insert the file into a new project, then resize it to fit the project you will be making. This file is for personal use only, so please don’t sell anything you make with this design.
CUTTING LEATHER EARRINGS WITH A CRICUT MAKER
Cutting Leather with the Cricut Maker
- Once you have downloaded the SVG to your computer, you can upload it to Cricut Design Space and insert it into a project.
- Resize the file to however big you would like your earrings to be.
I cut my larger feathers to be 4 inches long, which makes the smaller feathers 3 1/2 inches.
- Ungroup the feathers.
Click the Ungroup button from the menu on the right side of your screen.
- Optional: Change the material color of your earrings.
If you will be cutting the smaller feathers from a different material than the larger feathers, you will need to change the material color of the smaller feathers.
- Run a test cut of your design with scrap paper to make sure you like the size.
- Place the leather good side down on a Strong Grip mat.
Use a brayer to make sure the leather is making good contact with the cutting mat.
- Choose the correct material from Cricut Design Space.
Design Space has presets for Cricut leather and faux leather, as well as settings for various thickness of other leather materials.
- Insert the correct tool into the machine’s Adaptive Tool System.
You will need either the deep point blade or the knife blade. Be aware that you cannot use the knife blade when using the Design Space app.
- Load the mat and begin cutting.
Do frequent checks on the Cricut machine as it’s cutting. You may not need as many of the passes as Design Space calls for.
- Unload the mat and weed the leather.
Clean up any rough edges with a craft knife or sharp scissors.
ASSEMBLING THE EARRINGS
If you are using real leather, you may need to create your own holes in the top of the earrings. I used a pin, but a leather punch would work much better. If you are using faux leather or another thinner material, the Cricut will cut the holes for you.
Just add jump rings and earring findings to the holes at the top of the feather earrings. Enjoy your new homemade jewelry!
MORE FREE EARRING SVG FILES
- 5 Simple Shapes with Cutouts by The Country Chic Cottage
- Pineapple Earrings by Pineapple Paper Co.
- Split Circles Earrings by That’s What Che Said
- Heart Eye Emoji Earrings by Hello Creative Family
- Glitter & Suede Earrings by Hey, Let’s Make Stuff
- Watermelon Earrings by Happiness is Homemade
- Flower & Vine Earrings by 100 Directions
- Teardrop Earrings by Happy Go Lucky
- Teacher/Apple Earrings by Artsy-Fartsy Mama
- Arch Earrings by Crafting in the Rain
- Feather Earrings by Mad in Crafts
- Linked Heart Earrings by 30 Minute Crafts